Cougars sweep home-and-home with ‘Horns and pick up third win in a row.

Cougars sweep home-and-home with ‘Horns and pick up third win in a row.
Dan Khavkin, Cougar Athletics
CALGARY - Coming off a 6-2 victory the night prior, Mount Royal Cougars hosted the second half of a home-and-home with the Lethbridge Pronghorns, picking up their third straight victory with a 4-1 victory Saturday night in Calgary.
In the first period, MRU (3-2-1) found themselves shorthanded three times inside the opening ten minutes but killing them all successfully.
Lethbridge (1-5-1) mustered out a mere two shots in all three man-advantages.
Moments after the third penalty expired, Brad Kennedy sprung out of the box and got into the 'Horns zone, waiting on his linemates to come in of the fly.
He slid a pass to Jamal Watson in the slot who walked around goaltender Garret Hughson and guided the puck into the back of the net to put the Cougars up 1-0.
Watson's 11:38 marker was the only goal in the period.
With another assist to his name, Kennedy extends his point streak to four games.
Watson found the back for the second time and third on the year; 3:19 into the second frame while MRU was short-handed.
Cougar goalie Colin Cooper tallied his first point of the season when his pass around the boards got to his winger. Flying down on the right wing, Watson cut to his backhand then onto his forehand forcing Hughson into a split.
Hughson stopped the first shot but had no chance on the rebound.
Watson had a chance for his third on a breakaway but was denied by Hughson who stopped 31 in the contest, flashed his blocker to keep his team in the game.
With a minute and a half left in the second period, David Stephens scored off a Zach Henry feed.
Henry was stuffed on a breakaway but managed to fish the puck underneath Hughson and set up Stephens, who buried the puck into the empty cage from the top of the crease.
31 seconds later, Jay Merkly got his team on the board on the Pronghorn's seventh shot of the game, putting a one-timed effort past Cooper and cut the Cougar lead to 3-1 heading into the second break.
Newly appointed MRU captain Jamie King scored his first of the season at the 9:29 mark of the third period, jamming the puck between the wickets of Hughson.
Lethbridge was pressed all game long and relied on Hughson to keep them in the game.
MRU made life easy for their goalie Cooper who only faced 17 shots, stopping 16 of the attempted on the net.
"Things are buzzin' in the room right now, we're kind in a groove," first-start Watson said after his two-goal performance.
"It's going to be no holds barred heading into Manitoba with more chances to pick up those important points early in the season."
The Cougars travel to Manitoba for weekend road trip scheduled for 6 and 6:30 pm on Oct. 27 and 28 while the Pronghorns regroup and host UBC Thunderbirds for a homestand on Oct. 27 and 28 at 1 and 7 pm.